Monday, November 5, 2012

Interview with Mary Linsmeier Schools/Children's Edu-Care Teacher Charlie Christman, Children’s Book Illustrator of “Ivy Grace And The Birthday Monster”. This interview was conducted at the end of October.



What is “Ivy Grace And The Birthday Monster” about? What kind of message does the book present?

 “Ivy Grace And The Birthday Monster” is about a little girl who has a dream birthday party in her mind. When the birthday doesn’t measure up to her expectations she throws a tantrum at the party. The tantrum leaves her monstrous. The book has a good moral at the end of the story.

How did you become an illustrator? What made you decide to illustrate Jamie Vacho Kinsbeck’s book?


 I always find an excuse to draw and print. I have a degree in Art and have been doing freelance illustrations and teaching art. While doing this, I began my position at Mary Linsmeier Schools where I use art as a teaching method for the children.

Reading the book made me laugh and sold me on illustrating the book. Having the monster in the book will appeal to the children and it was fun to illustrate. I love the moral for the children who read the book and hopefully, the moral will be passed on to the children.

What was the most challenging part about illustrating a children’s book?

 I think the most challenging thing was to try to find the author’s vision and bring her ideas into the illustrations. Jamie was a great collaborator to work with and let me run with it.

How long did it take you to illustrate each page?

 The illustration process started in October 2011.  I worked on it during the evenings and over the weekends. I did 2 pages a month with reworks and changes. The final illustration was completed in May 2012. I meet with Jamie every 2 weeks to show her the work and fine tune ideas for the next illustration.


Is this your first illustration that has been published?

 I started doing illustrations for a toy packaging company and illustrated a children’s activity for Children’s Hospital in 2008. I have been professionally illustrating ever since.


What was your favorite scene to illustrate in the book?


  My favorite scene to illustrate in the book was when the monster appears. I asked other people about their favorite scene and it’s either the page were the girl has the dream birthday or the page were the monster appears.


What kinds of conditions did you work in to create the illustrations for this book? Did you listen to music?


 I always work with music. The music has to be upbeat, positive, and gets you moving.


What is the most important tool you use in illustrating? The one thing you can’t work without?


 The most important tool for me is pencil and paper. Drawing inspires me more than painting. Drawing lays the ground work for painting. I drew the illustrations first, then went back and painted them.

What is your favorite color and did you use it in the book?


 Blue is my favorite color. There are 3 predominant colors in the book that have purpose but I can’t tell you without spoiling the story for the readers.

Did anything serve as inspiration to your illustrations?


The children that I teach at Mary Linsmeier Schools served as inspirations in my illustrations.

What are you hoping the book and your illustrations will get across to parents and children?


I hope that anyone who reads the book will identify with the moral of the story. I wanted to make the book vivid, entertaining, and wanted the audience to experience the story, especially the part were she realizes what unkind actions has done to her loved ones.


Are you working on anything projects now?

 I am currently doing illustrations for a local magazine, and showing paintings at M Salon at Walker’s Point. I hope to be working on more projects during the winter.

Is there anything else you like to share?

Persistence is always a winner. Jamie and I took turns keeping each others drive and enthusiasm going on this project.






No comments: